I’m very opinionated and always have been. The difference from loud mouth, high school Jenni and stay at home, mommy Jenni is that I choose my battles wisely- for the most part.
I try to keep my feelings and opinions to myself. I don’t like talking about politics or worldly news with a lot of people. I also don’t like coming off like a cynical bitch, which is how I’m feeling this week and it’s only Tuesday. The older I get, the more uncomfortable I get when there’s confrontation, so I don’t want to be misunderstood. That’s why I hold most of it in.
However, my sarcasm and opinions run too deep at certain moments. Sometimes, I have word vomit. I usually end up with a sorry not sorry type of explanation before walking away and hiding until it blows over. I know I can’t be the only one. I’m not mean, but if I don’t get this out before the holidays, my mom might not let me come next year for fear I will offend her friends.
To be fair, not all of my opinions are unpopular. Usually, the way I feel has some memory or association that give me a bit of reasoning. We all like different stuff though.
- Pumpkin Spice is garbage. I say this not because I think it’s “basic” or trendy; it just makes me sick and sucks after two sips. I like pumpkin pie and pumpkin roll, but pumpkin flavor dominating the grocery store and my beloved coffee is too much.
- Uggs are ugly. I have a bit of deep seeded hatred towards these comfy looking boots. I was bullied by a very mean, spoiled brat on the bus in junior high. I wore converse almost everyday. She had Uggs. She called me poor and told me I had bad style. To be fair, I was kinda poor with bad style. Converse aren’t super cheap though. I genuinely believe these boots are cozy, but that girl tortured me, and that association is hard to break. I’m trying.
- Bows are for children. Unless you’re a competition or pro cheerleader, grown women shouldn’t wear bows in their hair. I’ve seen it very subtly done, and it wasn’t awful. I just think bows make you look twelve.
- If you’re a vegan but still smoke, you’re an asshole. I know a few people who tell me my eating habits are killing animals and so on so forth. During their environmentally charged rant, they have a pack of cigarettes peeking out of their shirt pocket. Discussion over.
- Starbucks isn’t that great. I like two or three drinks from this mega coffee chain. Other than that, I think most of their coffee tastes burnt.
- Frozen isn’t one of our favorite family movies. It’s towards the bottom for us. It’s okay, but it’s just not one we put on repeat. The other people in my family think we have bad taste, and if they are right, I’m okay with that.
- Android is better. I laugh as I say this, because I’m on an iPhone. I’ve had both, and Android had so much more to offer me. I could customize so much more than I could on my iPhones. To be honest, apple is better when it comes to making their phones low vision accessible, and I’m legally blind. This opinion is definitely shifting.
- Green and black lipstick are weird. I’ve seen women look so cool rocking this trend, but I will not try it. I think there may be a time and a place, but these colors just look weird in an everyday scenario. Maybe I’m safe in terms of makeup. Kudos if you can pull it off. I’m not a dick, I’m just a little jealous.
- The Kardashians are brilliant. I hate that I just wrote that, but let me explain. That is a billion dollar family. They are on like season 4927 of their reality show. They’ve broken into the makeup and fashion industry. They work hard and we throw money at them. Hating them will only make them richer too. There’s no way around them.
These are just some of the random opinions I encounter in group settings and family gatherings. Now, I can go to Thanksgiving and pretend to just follow my kids around, since interacting with you all let’s me get things off my chest.
I swear I’m not an awful person, but maybe saying it too much, isn’t convincing at all. I’m not usually unapologetically myself, so we shall see how this goes. What are some of your unpopular opinions?