This week’s featured blogger is a woman who I would call a genuine friend. She is one of the most incredible ladies, and I’m beyond grateful to have connected with her through the blogosphere.
Steph runs One Caring Mom, where she helps motherless moms on their journey through motherhood. She lost her mother due to cancer at a very young age, and she is truly inspiring. If you haven’t been to her blog, you’re definitely missing out on magic.
1. If you could go back and tell yourself 3 pieces of advice before starting your blog, what would they be?
Sometimes, I feel like it was just yesterday that I started blogging because there is still SO much I have to learn. But the 3 pieces of advice I’d give myself would be:
1. JUST DO IT! I bought my domain name at the end of March and didn’t launch until the end of June. I spent so much time trying to perfect my page and worrying about what I’d write and how it would come across. Launching was such a huge relief, and I wish I would’ve stopped worrying so much about trying to make it.
2. That leads into my next piece of advice I’d give myself – stop striving for perfection! My blog will continue to evolve as I do as a writer and blogger, and I don’t think that I’ll ever achieve perfection. There will always be something I want to do better, that striving for something that’s impossible is just a waste of time and energy.
3. The last piece of advice – write what comes naturally. When I first launched, I tried so hard to write things that I thought people would want to read. And it was hard. I struggled trying to find the right words and make it sound like I knew what I was talking about. At some point, I just realized that I had to find and use my voice and write what was natural for me. I imagined that I’d have a lot more advice or tips and tricks for this and that on my blog, but that stuff doesn’t come easy to me. The personal posts are the ones that I find easiest to write. So, I wish that I’d realized that so much earlier than I did.
2. What is your favorite post you’ve ever written and why?
Oh wow!!! This is actually a really difficult question. I’ve written quite a few posts that I’m really proud of and that mean a lot to me, but I think the one I’m most proud of would be the story of my mom titled, Mom: The Wind Beneath My Wings. She died when I was 8 and it’s the story of her life (from my eyes), her death, and the impact that all of that left on me. It’s my favorite because it really describes why I am the way I am. Her death made such an impact on me when I was younger and continues to do so today as a wife, mother, and just human being. While I like getting somewhat personal in posts, I really bared my heart and soul in that post, and it’s one of the only posts that I didn’t really care about whether my SEO or readability were good.
3. What is the ultimate goal you want to achieve with your blog?
I would absolutely LOVE to earn enough of a living blogging that I can be the one to support our family instead of my Hubby. He’s worked so hard for years, and I’d love for him to be able to coach our boys’ sports teams and do all the things that I’ve gotten to do for so long. But the only way I want to be able to do that is by genuinely helping people. Obviously, I want to earn a living, but my desire from blogging primarily to make money has morphed into really having a desire to connect with people, make in impact on people’s lives, and really help them through experiences similar to mine.
Must Read Posts
I don’t say this often, but every single one of her posts is a gem. Definitely read the one about her mom that was shared above. It’s amazing. With that being said, I want to share a few of my recent favorites from Steph.
Discovering the Secret of Change- Weekly Inspiration – Her weekly inspiration posts are all pretty lovely, but this one truly spoke to me. Check it out!
Weight Loss Tag – Some bloggers participate in tag posts, and they are pretty fun and a good way to be engaged in the community. I love this post, because she is so relatable and insightful when it comes to her health journey. There are also links in her post that link back to her original discussion of her health journey, and you should totally read those too!
10 Things You Might Not Know About Me – I love when bloggers do these types of posts. Being open and relatable to the reader is awesome, but actually letting people in isn’t easy. I really commend her for this.
Just go read them all.
Picking must read posts was pretty difficult this time. I love everything she writes, and I had the same admiration for her blog even before our friendship blossomed.
Links & Where to Find Her
Go check her out please! Have a wonderful weekend.