Sunshine Blogger Award 2
I was nominated for this award before, and it makes me smile so much. You can check out my first Sunshine Blogger Award here.
These might not be big time awards, but being nominated by others in the blogging community means someone must be reading my blog, and that’s success to me.
I was nominated twice last week by two wonderful women. I adore both of their blogs so much, and that is what made this even more special for me.
Let’s recap. What is the Sunshine Blogger Award?
It’s an award nominated by peers recognizing their fellow writers for their inspiring and creative blogs.
Here are the rules:
Thank the blogger who nominated you and link to the original post.
Answer the 11 questions they’ve asked you.
Nominate 11 other bloggers and ask them 11 questions
This is always so much fun! Since I was nominated twice in the same week, I want to answer questions from both ladies.
Questions from Messy Mama
- Why did you start blogging? I actually started blogging in college, even though those blogs didn’t last. I wasn’t in the best health, mentally or physically, so it helped me have an outlet.
- Who is your biggest inspiration in the blogging community? I have to say that I have like a top 3 list of bloggers that inspire me. There’s more, but I’ll give you the top 3. Messy Mama is one, because she’s funny and relatable. One Caring Mom makes me “yes!” every time I read her blog. Her honesty is so inspiring. Geek Mamas is unapologetic and so cool. Those 3 are definitely in my top list of inspiring bloggers.
- What advice would you give to new bloggers? I always tell new bloggers not to compare themselves to others. It’s easy to see someone thriving with great stats and a big audience, but if you’re authentic, your success will come.
- What are your blogging goals, what do you hope to achieve? My biggest goal is to eventually turn this blog into a decent income. I want to expand and really create a brand.
- What was the greatest thing you have experienced within the blogging community? I love the support from other bloggers. Anytime I needed a break, they were supportive and understanding. It helped ease my fear that if I took a break, my readers would disappear completely.
- What is your favorite part about blogging? My favorite part is being able to make someone smile. Nothing is more wonderful than getting a message that says my words inspired someone or made their day.
- Why did you choose your niche? I had the hardest time deciding on a niche, because I’ve tried a few that didn’t work out well. Being a parent helped, because I knew that I wanted to talk about motherhood. I added the lifestyle niche too, because I get bored posting about just one thing all of the time.
- What is your favorite thing to write about? I love writing about motherhood and body positivity. Being a mom is who I am, and that other half is a body positive warrior. I love talking about my kids, and I love boosting other people’s confidence.
- How long have you been blogging? In total, I’ve been blogging 8 years, but I’ve only had this blog for close to a year.
- What’s one thing you would like to talk about on your blog but are too afraid to? I don’t really have fear in terms of opening up. I’ve talked about everything from cookie recipes to sex toys.
- What’s the story behind your blog name? Names and titles have been important to me since I starting writing. I think a good title gives me confidence. Housewife Hustle was something I’d say to my mom or husband. I’d say, “gotta go get to my housewife hustle” when I was talking about cleaning or mom duties. I wasn’t going to use it at first, but it kind of stuck.
Questions from Keep Calm it’s Life
- If you had a do-over would you change your niche? Nope. I love the mom and lifestyle combo that I have going on. It’s a nice umbrella, so I have a big range of topics.
- What was the reason you started your blog? I started this current one when I found out about needing a hysterectomy. I had the domain and everything for a while, but getting the bad news helped me open up and start writing again.
- What social media platform do you feel most supported in? I used to feel like Twitter was my favorite and most supported, but after my last break, it’s shifted. As much as I hate to say it, Instagram has been wonderful for my blog. I’ve gotten support from so many bloggers and people there.
- What has been your biggest blogging win? My biggest blogging win would be getting these awards. I love that brands started to notice me without prompting, but being supported by others in the blogosphere is incredibly humbling.
- When did you know you wanted to finally start your blog? I’ve been blogging for years, and none of them did well. I just wasn’t as committed. I actually had the domain and idea for a few months, but I was scared to start over again. When I found out about my hysterectomy, I knew I needed a way to vent and take my mind off of my yo-yoing health. So, I started finally hitting publish and getting regular.
- What one thing gives you the most inspiration in your writing? My kids and husband give me the most inspiration. Seeing them grow and love me without any hesitation gives me inspiration everyday.
- Where do you do most of your writing? I do most of my writing on the couch covered in toddlers. I mostly write during nap times, so I currently have a two year old in my lap snoring.
- How did you come up with the name of your blog? And Why? See the last question from the last set.
- What’s one piece of advice you would give to new bloggers that you wish someone would have given you? I wish someone would have told me to not stress the strategies and numbers so much. Lead with your passion, and then chase the dream of growth.
- Did you start your blog to make money or was this part of a hobby? I started as an outlet to write and vent, but as time goes on, I hope it becomes a source of income. Writing as been the biggest hobby in my life, so I would love to combine my passion and career.
- If you could arrange a blogging conference where would you host the event? I would host the event at my alma mater, Shippensburg University. I would open it to bloggers as well as students interested in learning about blogging.
First, I want to say that in the blogging world, there can be overlap. If I nominate someone, it’s not because they haven’t necessarily gotten the award yet. While I’ll try to spread the love evenly, I also want to nominate bloggers who are big inspirations to me recently.
Questions for the Nominees
- If you could pick your favorite blog post to share, what would it be?
- What would your ideal blogging space look like?
- Do you have a blogger who inspires you or a blogger bestie you’ve connected with?
- What is your least favorite social media platform and why?
- Do you have a blogging ritual or process that you do every time you start a new post?
- If your blog led to a reality show or TV opportunity of sorts, would you do it? Why/why not?
- Where does your blog name come from, and have you ever thought about changing it?
- What are your top 2 favorite blog niches to read and follow?
- What are your go-to blogging apps?
- What is your best experiences in the blogging community/online community? Worst experience?
- What piece of advice would you go back in time and give yourself before creating your blog?